Thursday, May 22, 2008

Summer Begins

I just wanted to make it clear that I did not see Speed Racer. At least not yet. Instead, the last movie I saw was Prince Caspian. I'm not really a huge Narnia fan (based on the movies at least, I haven't read the books). The movie was good but the company was much better.

I'm glad this week has been so good, because summer had started off pretty slow. I was so bored the entire first week because I had nothing to do. Everybody was busy, and I was just hanging around at home doing nothing. Then I went to the Friend Mixer/sleepover which was a lot of fun. I love that group of people. Then on Sunday, me and Stephanie made a fire in the backyard and we sat out there and talked until 1:30 in the morning. It felt good, because I have really felt disconnected from the family lately. Nobody ever really talks about anything serious, it's just all surface stuff. It's hard getting anything out of most of them, and for the most part none of them ever try too hard to find out what's new in my life beyond the regular "How was school?" I rarely have any good conversations with them. But me and Stephanie have talked a lot this week and it has made me feel a lot better.
Also I've gotten to finally hang out with my friends from home. It sucked because we got together once for a little bit, and then I didn't see them for more than a week. I didn't get to hang out with the whole group, but it was great getting together with Deanna and Maureen the past few days (no offense to Jacob or Sarah, but I do go to school with them so seeing them wasn't too big of a deal lol). I haven't really talked to them in awhile, and it's been fun talking with Deanna about theater stuff. I missed that.
What is with this week and great conversations?! lol Sunday= Stephanie, Monday= Molly, Tuesday=Stephanie again, Wednesday=Deanna and Maureen. I hope this keeps up.

I started work today which I'm kind of excited about. I'm working on the running crew for STAGES (they are doing Thoroughly Modern Millie), and it's going to be interesting. My job is basically working with 5 other people to manuever massive set pieces through the cramped and crowded scene shop area as quickly as possible. Seriously, these units are a good 20 feet tall; they just barely miss scraping the ceiling. The first day was kind of awkward and everyone was pretty quiet because we had just met each other, but they seem like cool people so I'm looking forward to working with them throughout the summer.
It just feels weird. I know it's only my first day, and I am thankful for getting a theatre job like this, but when I think about doing these scene shifts 8 times a week for the next month, I kinda cry a little on the inside. I'm worried that it's going to get real old, real fast. But even though it's almost a 45 minute drive, it gives me an excuse to hang around Kirkwood which I'm excited about :)

Also, I bought an X-Box 360 last week! It's pretty much amazing. Call of Duty 4 is honestly one of the best experiences I've had with any kind of entertainment. Think of the most intense moments from Black Hawk Down, and that's what the game feels and looks like. The title should really just be Fucking Awesome, because that's what it is.

No comments: